Purpose of the Job
To manage Projects required for deployment of IT systems and systems enhancements for the ProjectTemplates®. Projects will be required to deliver within the governance and management of a co-ordinated ProjectTemplates® programme that often requires engagement with external stakeholders in the wider community and suppliers. Project Managers will be accountable to the governance body for co-ordination of activities with other development and related activities.
To manage the production, maintenance and implementation of the full range of appropriate PRINCE 2 products.
- To run the day-to-day control of the project, including monitoring and reporting of progress to the Project / Programme Board.
- To co-ordinate the work of the Project within the ProjectTemplates® programme, and to maintain consistency and integrity in accordance with the priorities and policy direction of the programme governance board.
- To deliver the required capability to time, budget and quality in accordance with the approved Project / Programme Plan.
- To manage risks and issues at the project level, taking account of their impact on Projects within the Programme and on other Projects under the direction of the governance board.
- To communicate with Project and Programme stakeholders so that their expectations are fully understood, properly managed and responded to.
- To fulfil those duties placed upon staff by the Data Protection Act (1998).
- To fulfil the obligations of the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) ensuring at all times working practices and procedures are adhered to.
- To fulfil the requirements of ProjectTemplates® equal opportunities policy and procedures and implement equality principles and practices within the context of the job.
- Any other duties that may be reasonably required commensurate with the grade of the post.
Person Specification – Project Manager
- PRINCE 2 Practitioner Certificate or equivalent.
- APM, PMI or IESB certificated, or equivalent experience.
- A degree in an IT, scientific or engineering discipline or an MBA in Project Management.
- Full membership of the BCS, IEE or equivalent professional body.
- Minimum of five years’ experience of managing a range of Projects.
- Experience of writing and presenting the full range of project documentation, including Business Cases and Project Initiation Documents (PIDs)
- Experience of Budget profiling and managing Project Budgets.
- IT Literate with extensive experience of using the MS Office package and MS Project.
- Experience of liaising at Senior Management, Director and Board level.
- Experience of mentoring others.
Aptitudes And Abilities
- Good organisational skills including the ability to deal with conflicting demands in order to meet deadlines, prioritise a heavy workload and a willingness to work flexibly.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Able to manage Project Risks and Issues in a structured way using recognised techniques.
- Able to apply the principles of successful negotiation to influence and persuade others.
- Able to identify Project context, define Project objectives and success criteria.
- Able to produce realistic Project Plans with appropriate controls using recognised software tools, preferably MS Project 2000 or later.
- Able to adopt a pragmatic approach to the use of PRINCE2.
- Able to prepare and produce Quality Plans and manage Quality to ensure products are ‘fit for purpose’.
- Good Understanding of the principles and the practical application of Change Control and Configuration Management
- Awareness and/or evidence of working in an environment commitment to promoting equal opportunities.
- Clear leadership skills with the ability to influence and persuade others.
- An enthusiastic and self-motivated individual with a proven ability to work on their own initiative.
- Innovative and imaginative, with a consultative and facilitating style.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a diplomatic approach.